Monday, July 30, 2007

Smile!

A picture that is NOT my grandson. If I didn't have cat allergies, and I had an amenable spouse, I'd have a cat in a heartbeat. Hopefully that wouldn't make me one of those "cat women" who are the butt of jokes about lonely old spinsters with houses full of felines, but it is true. There is nothing like a purring soft fuzzy mewing idiosyncratic beast to make one's house a home.

That said, there is also nothing like said beast to make one's house a furry maloderous box if things go awry, so no notes blaming my cat love post on your obtaining said critter and it going badly.

I have cat on the brain because a sister of a friend and fellow blogger just posted about losing her own dear furball. I also am so in the wonky world of peri-menopause so deeply that I figure a cat would just about round out the picture of midlife insanity. My right cheek is on fire on and off some days and not at all on others. Today I can't get warm. My right cheek is still on fire but right next to it the tip of my nose is an icecicle. Good news: after a couple hours of this I realised I could take my ice cold hand and cover my burning cheek. I'm not always that fast on the uptake.

Friends, having been plagued with increasing migraines the past 8 weeks or so, on and off (like everything else and totally unpredictable like everything else) I have to say that there is a great HIGH that comes from not having one for a few hours or a day...I just about jump around, giving DH big hugs and getting giddy about the potential thrill of cooking a meal or having company in. (and that is from a hermit...company...what a notion!)


I'm at that cyclical stage where I'm likely to start back with the head pain again. I'm hoping it holds off till Wednesday. I realised in the past couple or three weeks that I miss having little girls in my life, particularly that wonderful age between 8-11 where they are able to do crafts and baking and just love to do all things domestic. I've asked a friend if I can borrow three of her five to do some crafts with and she said they'd be pleased to come.

If I had to do it over again I'd have probably done even more of that kind of stuff with my own sweet baby, but I suppose that we actually did that stuff the best and not enough of the "hard core academics"...oops. If I had to do it over again I'd have read to her more though. I missed the window for Peter Rabbit and Pooh for instance. I didn't know about "windows"...that if you don't hit the right book at the right time, your little one's can find them over their head or boring. Live and learn.

So I'm hoping to make little melty beady things that serve absolutely no purpose in life except the joy in making them, called Perler Beads. Their mom is moving house, all by herself (well with help from parishoners) but with hubby off to a family funeral so perhaps the girls being out and having hopefully fun will be a help to her. It's probably pretty pathetic that my life has come to this...the highlight of my week being crafts.

I try not to put too much hope into it going well because my brain runs ahead to all the other crafts I could do with them, and maybe even BAKING!!! Perhaps they'll let me read Peter Rabbit? Is this what peri-menopause does to one? I'm not out changing the world, or writing for fun and profit (forget the great american novel)

So if you think of me, this is where I am....an icebag on my face, a heating pad on my side, with fairly low but happy ambitions....next week perhaps I can share my riviting schedule of a root canal and making a carrot cake for my lady dentist's birthday? Lord willing (said with mixed enthusiasm...root canal..ugh, carrot cake, yeah!) And on a potentially actually important in the grand scheme of things note, the Holy Spirit has been prompting me to pray a bit more this past week. Will try to write a bit more, though it may be no more exciting than this.

No comments: