Friday, September 01, 2006

Pink Eye?


Conjunctivitis despite the "Pink Eye" alias, looks nothing like the illustration to the left. I am 44 years old, too old for such a childhood illness one would think. Apparently not.

"Sweet Baby" and her Hubby (do I have a name for him yet, I can't recall) and the bump-ette are en-route to parts West. They hope to see Yellowstone and Glacier National Park, and not Grizzly Bears. They hope to do this on a shoestring. Pray that the Lord would go before them and bless their time together and with all those they meet.

They had planned to leave tomorrow but ended up able to get a jump on things and leave tonight. A few short hours ago, I wrote a friend who lives in Pittsburgh, to ask if she knew of any cheap hotels in reputable area's or hostels etc and she said "Hey, my Mum is away, they can stay at her place." I am so grateful for God's provisions by way of my friend and her absent Mum. She made this offer knowing they won't be there until after midnight. God bless those who offer hospitality, what a picture of God's mercy and care. I have been blessed many times in my life by those folk who have opened their homes to me and bless God to recount those faithful souls.

The"kids" are willing to "rough it" and to sleep in the car if need be. This isn't something "mother" is fond of thinking about. SB reminds me that folk in Africa having few comforts. Hmm. "Mother" (me?) thinks about Grizzly bears in national parks, SB says "What about Providence?" That said, I've likely raised her to the right side of paranoid and she'll be doing well if she has the nerve to walk 50 feet on a marked Path without a tour guide.

I don't have time to write about it now as my own dear hubby returns to me this night from an unexpected 3 day trip to KY where he officiated at the funeral of a friend. What I would like to note, and ponder more upon, is the gap between how the world offers hospitality and how those who are of the household of faith offer it. Something to think about for a future discussion. Feel free to comment if you have thoughts on the matter.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, I woke up this morning with my eye swollen shut. Not pink eye, it is a stye. Really looks much worse than it is, scared my children and hubby though.
Did we shake hands at church Sunday?

a son's mom said...

I have been thinking a great deal about hospitality, and wondering if that is where I am to serve. I have a great deal of experience in throwing parties, for children, adults, and family. Anywhere from kid's parties, to teas to beach parties. I'm always exhausted but always happy when they occur. Recently I had the opportunity to throw a birthday party for a missionary on leave. Then our sunday school class offered our beach house for a gathering. I think it is no coincidence that I have been praying for the Lord to show me how I may serve, now that my children are grown and out of the nest (for the most part). Who knows, maybe "party throwing" is a gift?
At the very least, it will be a form of giving back, or paying forward, what has been extended to me throughout the years. My (our) dear Aunt Ruthie always made me feel welcome, a part of the family, and now I realize what work it took to do this for me.
In short (though its too late to say "in short" now), I think that Christians treat each other, and even those outside of the faith, like family. No expectations of any reciprocation. That is the difference between Christian hospitality and the world's hospitality. I hope that I can develop this gift.

a son's mom said...

Hope your eye heals quickly. This is a common ailment among us teachers!

a son's mom said...

are you better yet, girlfriend?

a son's mom said...

I just found out this morning that my own daughter has a new "bump", like your sweet baby's...:)